Search This Blog

Sunday, June 13, 2021

John Phelps Narrative, Part 1

  


John Phelps on sesquicentennial commemorative metal, 1986



John Phelps about 1873

                         

NARRATION OF JOHN PHELPS

 

This narrative has been saved in many forms by people for the one hundred and forty-seven years since John Phelps death.

His daughter, Sarah Johnston, took down his words, and her son T.O. Johnston summarized them in the obituary number of his paper, The Ogle County Reporter, April,1874.  Some people have typed copies of this summary for the Oregon, Illinois, Library, and the Wisconsin State Historical Society.  Wesley Johnston took a written copy of the first section and changed wording and added to it for the famous historian, Lyman C. Draper, of the Wisconsin State Historical Society.  Copies of the original narration, dictated to his daughter, Sarah Phelps Johnston, were made by hand by the family and copies were made from those copies.  A great-grandson, John Phelps “Don” Fridley, was an attorney and he had a typewritten copy made by his secretary.  She corrected and modernized the punctuation and some of the words, leaving the more important things alone.  The following copy of the narration was made by comparison of the written copy from the Wisconsin State Historical Society and the typed copy, with the original wording and punctuation retained as much as possible.   Quotations were added by me to add interesting insights into the times.   Ashford Wood, a great-grandson of John Phelps, published the narration in a book, 1967, published by Wood Press.  Gordon Merritt, May 28, 2021.

 

Captain John "Jack" Phelps.  In fiction he was treated like this:

 

A stalwart, bearded, brown-eyed man of Hamilton's years marched toward us from the shabby tent. 

 

"This is Jack Phelps.  My friend...and I hope yours," the surveyor explained...

 

He had a grip, that stalwart man, and looked me through and through.  "I've notched my trees on Liberty Hill," he snapped.  "I fought in the war of 1812, and in the Black Hawk campaign of 1831, before you entered service.  I've traveled south to New Orleans and north to Galena.  I floated down the Pecatonica and Rock until I found this place, the choicest on the river.  I hope we'll get along."  he said it is a way that suggested he would welcome war as readily as peace.

 

(May, Earl Chapin, The Prairie Pirates, Publ.:

Duffield and Green, NY, NY. Circa 1932.  pg.197).


Statue of John Phelps and Stephen A St. Cyr, coming to the site of Oregon, Illinois, 1834.  It was placed in 2015 in Phelps Park next to the Coliseum in Oregon

 

This probably comes close in some ways to showing the first impression someone might have of him. He had very strong friends and very strong enemies.

 

Also, he was well known in Illinois, and his location was noted as "Phelps" on an 1837 map of major roads and towns of Illinois.              

         

At the present time Mr. Phelps is remembered by a Phelps Street in Oregon.  There is a John Phelps park, next to the Coliseum in downtown Oregon.  His old double cabin lasted over 100 years, and was replaced with a replica by the farm owner, Mr.Marvin Buhs (pronounced Bush) in 1976. 

Home of John Phelps on his farm three miles from Oregon.  Smokehouse is to the left. 

 

Three hundred feet to the west Phelps built his Gothic brick home, from bricks made on his farm.  It had walnut window sashes.   His Gothic brick home burned in l932, but his brick smoke house on the left remains.  The smoke house was moved in October 2018 to Phelps Park in Oregon next to the Coliseum.  Some of the trees that he planted remain.  



He had for namesakes: a grandson, by his son James, John Nathaniel Phelps, who only lived one month in 1872; he had a great-grandson John "Don" Phelps Fridley, born 1870; and great-grandson John Phelps Johnston, born 1873. The l986 the bronze commemorative medal for the Oregon Sesquicentennial had his face and name on it as "founder". His autobiographical narrative is usually quoted or summarized in the various Oregon and Ogle County history books, such as "The Story of Oregon, Illinois Semicentennial 1836-1986", publ. by a Committee in Oregon, Ill., l988.  And he and his wife had at least 123 descendants, by 1983, in seven generations, since March,1817, when his wife Sarah Rogan Carlin Phelps gave birth to their first child, Sarah.  

                        **********

                                  Records of An Ogle County Pioneer

 

One of the earliest settlers in Ogle County was John Phelps.  The earliest history of Oregon and much of the history of Ogle County is interwoven about the eventful career of this man.  It is a fascinating sketch.  [John Phelps Fridley].

 

NARRATIVE OF JOHN PHELPS

 

This brief sketch and history of events that I have passed through from my earliest days to the present time, is to be left as a record to my family and relatives who may follow after me.  As my life has been a somewhat eventful one, my history may be of interest to my relatives and friends when I have passed away.  I, therefore, shall endeavor to give a brief and correct account of my travels, acts, and doings as I passed through the various vicissitudes and difficulties along the journey of life. 

 

I was born in Bedford County, Virginia, on the 8th day of August, A.D. 1796.  I spent my juvenile days there, which were the happiest of my existence.  By then I was eight years old.  I was put to work on the farm and kept in constant employment except the winter months.  I then went to school.  It was the early training to habits of industry and labor that gave me a vigorous constitution which has served me in the most trying hardships which I have been forced to encounter through life.  It may not be improper to say that I was taught by my parents never to do anything that I was ashamed of, to hold my honor above price or temptation.  Their early instruction has been of great advantage to me.  It grew with my growth and strength, it became so interwoven with my nature that to do a thing I was taught not to do; or, in other words, that was wrong, left a deep impression on me, and often a source of many unhappy hours to show the great necessity of proper training of youth that when he gets old, he will not depart from it.  It will become part and parcel of his nature and stand as a beacon light to steer to, will guide him from the shoals, breakers and quick sands which lay in the way through the journey of life. 

 

I will here recite a circumstance that happened when I was quite a small boy.  I had been fishing in a little creek.  On my return home I passed through a tobacco field of one of our neighbors where there was a large quantity of watermelons.  As I passed along, I kept thumping the melons to see if they were ripe. The temptation was too great, and I came to the conclusion that I would take one and go into the woods and eat it; accordingly, I plucked one off and started for the thicket to eat it. Now comes in the force of proper training. I felt I was doing wrong, in fact that I was stealing; the remorse of conscience that I felt from the departure of principles which I had been taught overpowered me.  I could not, I would not steal the melon; it would do no good to throw it away.  So, I concluded I would bust it open on a stump and eat it in the open field.  This being done, I determined to go to the neighbor's house and tell him what I had done.  On my arrival at the neighbor's house, I approached him with a heavy heart and addressed him in these words: "Mr. Terry, I was passing through your tobacco grounds, pulled one of your watermelons and ate it."  His reply was: "My little man, you are welcome to it; you can go there whenever you want them, so that you don't waste them."  It can be better imagined than I can describe my feelings of gratitude for those kind and benevolent words.  It dispersed the doubt and gloom that overshadowed me.  I tripped off home with a light and cheerful heart, determined never to place myself in such a position again. 

 

I give this little narrative to show how important it is to train up children in the way they should go.  I am well aware that parents have a sympathy for their children and in some cases indulge them too much, to their detriment and injury.  If you would have them respected, teach them to be respectful to others.  It will always be reciprocal.

 

In the fall of 1810, my father moved to Middle Tennessee.  I was then entering my fifteenth year.  He settled in Wilson County and commenced opening a farm in a heavy timbered country.  There was little transpiring, worth noting, for the first two or three years, as it was quite a new settled place.  All our energies were turned to improving the farm, building a residence and out-buildings.

 

[The place is called Tuckers Corners now.  It is on the modern maps near Jennings Fork of Round Lick Creek on the east edge of Wilson County, Tennessee.  Others who lived there were William Phillips, James Bradshaw, several Bradleys, Matthew Cartwright, William Palmer, James Edwards, Parks Goodall, Hobbs, James Hobbs, Thomas Harlin, John Phillips, Benjamin Phillips, James Taylor, William Sweat, Shelah Waters, and David Young.  Terrilyn Phillips Litvan, 1215 Fairbanks Drive, Carmel, IN 46032 is researching these families].

 

The Wilson County Court copy of the deed of sale for Richard Phelps land.  From Deed Books C-M, Book E, page 428-429:

 

September 23, 1811:

 

This Indenture Made and intered (sic) into this 23rd day of September in the year of Our Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred & Eleven between Wm. I. [or J] Walker & Wilmuth his wife of the County of Bedford & State of Virginia of the one part & Richard Phelps of the County of Wilson & State of Tenessee (sic) the other part Witnesseth that the said W.I. Walker & Wilmuth his wife for and in Consideration of the Sum of Six Hundred Dollars [$12,000 value in 2021]to them in hand paid the Rect. of which is hereby Acknowledged hath given granted and Bargained sold aliened Conveyed & Confined unto the said Rich. Phelps his Heirs & assigns forever, a Certain Tract of Parcel of Land, situate (sic) lying and being in the County of Wilson containing Three Hundred & twenty Acres lying on the waters of Round Lick Creek on the east side of Jenning's Fork being a branch of Round Lick Creek at the West ind (sic) of a Tract of Six Hundred & forty acres granted to Betsy Barrow it being the Land deeded to said Walker by Willie Barrow, Beginning at a Sugar tree, and Running South Two Hundred and twenty six poles to Hence East Two hundred & twenty six poles to a Lynn thence a direct Cource (sic) to the Beginning to have and to hold the aforesaid Land with all the rights, Profits, involuments (sic) and appurtenance of in and to the same belonging, or in any win appertaining, to the only proper use and behoof (sic) of the said Phelps his Heirs & assigns forever and the said W.I. Walker & Wilmuth his Wife for themselves their  Heirs, executors & administrators, do covenant & agree to and with the said Richard Phelps his heirs & assigns that the before Recited Land & premised, doth Will Warrant and defend as far as Three Hundred & twenty Acres against the right title Interest or Claim of all & every Person whatsoever but is expressly understood & agried (sic) between the parties that if any mistake has taken place in measuring Said Lines that said Phelps has no Claim to any More than said three Hundred & Twenty Acres in Witness whereof said Walker & Wilmuth his Wife hath hereunder set their hand, & affixed their seals the day & year above written.

 

Signed Seal'd & c in presence of

               his

William X Woodcock

      mark

      her

Elizabeth X Woodcock                 W.I.Walker LS

      mark                                                  

      her                                       

Polly X Woodcock

    mark

 

At a court held for Bedford County [Virginia] at the courthouse the 23 day of September 1811 This Identure (sic) of bargain & Sale between William I. Walker and Wilmuth his wife of the one part and Richard Phelps of the other- was Acknowledged by the said William I. Walker & [repeating the body of the Indenture filed in Wilson County].

 In the year 1812 or 1813 I took it into my head that if I were from under the control of my parents, I could do much better for myself.  My intentions were known to them, which were positively objected to.  It did not discourage me in the least.  I told my mother that I was unalterably determined to go.  It gave her much trouble but finding that all her entreaties were unavailing, she set about preparing suitable clothes, and necessaries that I was to take.  My father still opposed my leaving home and said that if I went, I would go without money.  All this did not discourage me.  Thinking it would be to my advantage to have an introductory letter to whomsoever it might concern, stating that I was of a respectable family and of good habits, and deserving the confidence of whomever might give me employment, the document was signed by many citizens. 

 

Thus, armed with a recommendation and a few dollars [$59 value in 2021] handed to me by my mother, I set out on a delusive journey, on foot, with my knapsack on my back; bound for the Saline Salt Works, in the Territory of Illinois.  I had before me a distance of two hundred miles through mud and mire, in the winter.  I did not mind the fatigue and hardship so much as the idea of carrying a knapsack on my back.  I had always looked upon one traveling in that condition as a low, degraded fellow.  I, therefore, endeavored to shun every house on the road, that I possibly could.

 

I arrived at the Ohio River on Saturday night, crossed next morning, and proceeded on my way, arriving at the Saline Lick in the evening, a distance of twenty-five miles, tired and hungry. My first object was to find a tavern to stay at until I could get employment.  But this proved fruitless.  There was no tavern kept there.  I roamed about, hunting a place, in a rather disconsolate mood. I began to realize the forlorn, unpleasant condition that I had placed myself in, against the urgent appeal and advice of my parents and friends.

 

It was growing late, and I had visited most of the road huts, without the least prospect of getting shelter for the night or even a bite to eat.  I saw at a distance what seemed to be a comfortable building, and I resolved to go and try my luck there.  On arriving at the house, the gentleman appeared at the gate and asked me what I wished.  I told him I was hunting work and wished to know if he knew where I could get employment.  At the same time, I took out my letter of recommendation and handed it to him.  He read it, then said he thought he could direct me to a place where I could get a situation.  He then invited me into his house, saying that supper was about ready.  I accepted his kind offer; this was the first I had eaten since morning.  After supper I asked him where I could get a place to stay all night.  He said I could stay with him.  This kind treatment was thankfully received, and it had a tendency to cheer up my drooping spirits. 

 

I arose early in the morning and set out for the furnace.  I was directed to travel along a line of pipes which conducted the salt water to the furnace, a distance of three miles.  On my arrival I soon made an engagement to work at $20.00 per month [$391 in 2021 value].  I told my employer that I had not any breakfast.  He replied that he had eaten breakfast, but I should go to the cabin and get mine; that I would find meat, meal, and cooking utensils.  On entering the cabin, to my great surprise I found nothing, but a dirt floor all covered with ashes and straw.  The cooking utensils consisted of a frying pan and a broken pot.  Hanging on the wall was a side of bacon, and in one corner of the room was a barrel of corn meal.  I set to work, cleaned the frying pan, and fried some bacon.  I made some dough or batter and fried it in the grease that came out of the bacon.  I ate breakfast and went to work.  The bedding consisted of bunks fixed up against the wall.  Their beds were straw; the covering a few old dirty blankets.     

 

I began to repent of my foolish and unfortunate enterprise.  I remained in this most uncomfortable situation for about one month, often reflecting on the pleasures of home and undergoing the greatest privations and hardships that I ever experienced.  The hands were all the roughest and the very dregs of creation.  About this time, I had a difficulty with one of the hands, one of my employers taking sides with him, the other with myself.  I then determined to leave them and return home.  I called on them for my wages, but they had no money and they could not nor would not pay me.  I think they gave me a dollar or so.  I had spent all the money my mother gave me, but the want of means did not stop me.  So, I set out on my journey, depending on the hospitality of those I had stopped with on my outward trip.  In this I succeeded, as I was treated well on the road and reached home in ten or twelve days.  I was kindly received, with a firm conviction that home was the best place for foolish, inexperienced boys.

 

This was the first experience of my life and it proved to be a complete failure.  It taught me a lesson never to be forgotten.  It was one of the errors of my life and I often looked upon it with profound regret, having caused a kind mother so many sorrowful tears and sleepless nights.  Thus ended my experience of 1812.  [Thus, John Phelps resided in Illinois before Statehood in 1818 and this qualified him to get Prairie Pioneer status from the Illinois Genealogical Society in 1982]. See illustration attached. 

 



 

The next year I remained at home and worked on the farm.  War had been declared against Great Britain; also, troops were called for against the Creek Indians.  This created in me a great desire to go into the Army.  Under the excitement, I again became restless and could think of nothing else but the glory and fame I would acquire in the service of my country; but the opposition I met with from my father and mother prevented me from carrying our my most ardent wishes.  They insisted that I was too young, that it might be a protracted war and that I would have sufficient time to display my gallantry when I had arrived at the proper age. 

 

I had now entered into my seventeenth year.  Under this suspension of my wishes, weeks seemed months and months seemed years.  The wheels of time were not fast enough.  I longed to be a man. 

 

The eighth day of the ensuing August, I became eighteen years of age.  I looked upon it as the brightest epoch of my existence.  I was then untrammeled and could act at my pleasure with regard to serving my country.  In September there was a call for volunteers to go to Florida.  I immediately went to town [Lebanon] and enrolled myself as a volunteer [for the army of General Andrew Jackson, in General John Coffee's Brigade, Tennessee Mounted Volunteer Gun-men for a 6-month enlistment].  My oldest brother [Henry] was going to school about thirty miles from home.  I wrote to him what I had done and invited him to come and go into service with me.  He came and entered with me.  A few days were spent in preparation.                                                    

 

[September 28, 1814] All things being in readiness, we set out on the line of march.  During our preparation at home my father insisted that one of us should stay at home and take care of the farm and let him fill the place.  We both refused.  When the day arrived, on which we were to start, he went with us on one day's march.  Before leaving us, he still insisted that one of us should return home and fill his place.  We again refused and wished to know why he was so anxious to go in the army.  His reply was that he knew we were both young and inexperienced, that our courage might fail in the hour of need or danger, that if either of us was by his side he knew we would fight, but without his example he did not know the result.  I told him I was sorry that he thought he had raised a son that was less brave than himself, and that we were determined to fill our places.  He then said: "well boys, I must bid you farewell, and I trust you both will behave like brave men; if so, I shall be proud to see you return, but if either of you are shot in the back never show your face to me again."  Those words left a deep impression on me and will ever be remembered. 

 

We soon set out on our march again and arrived at Fayetteville in five or six days [October 2, l8l4].  There we encamped for two or three weeks, waiting for troops from other counties and making other preparations.  This being accomplished, we received marching orders with the intention of crossing the Tennessee River at Mussel Shoals.  The day before we reached the point, encamped about dark.  I went out to cut some wood with my hatchet and, unfortunately, made a mis-lick and struck it into my knee.  On examination, it was found that it would be impossible to do service for some time to come, if ever.  I, therefore, was sent home.  This was a source of deep mortification to me.  All my lively anticipations were again blasted.  I was doomed to dull monotony on the farm.  On my arrival at home, I was unable to walk; my knee was badly swollen and gave me much pain, but, with good care, it began to mend in a couple of weeks. [He walked with a limp for the rest of his life; when he fought, he rode a horse if movement was needed]. I then began to have some hopes of reaching the army again.  These reflections gave me much pleasure and cheered me up.  In about one week more I was able to mount my horse without help.  Hearing that one of our company had returned in consequence of sickness and had regained his health, I went to see him and made arrangements to return to the army.  This being done, we prepared for the long and perilous journey before us, most of which was through the Indian country -- a distance of from four to five hundred miles.

 

We set out again on this almost forlorn-hope expedition.  After three days travel, we were in Indian Territory -- both unacquainted with Indians.  They looked like demons to us.  My traveling friend said he wished he had never started.  We crossed the Tennessee River in six or seven days after leaving home.  Nearby the road forks and we took the left-hand trail, which led to Mobile and Pensacola.  The weather was rainy -- waters high -- which impeded our progress very much.  There was no alternative but to swim the creek -- no bridges on the road.  This, together with the fear of Indians, gave my companion much trouble and he insisted that we should return home.  I told him that I would not; I would reach the army or die on the way.  He had gone too far in the Indian country to think of returning alone; so he was forced, through necessity, to keep along with me.  Many difficulties lay in our way; rain continued.  Our progress was slow. 

 

On arriving at a creek that was very much swollen, we held council -- should we wait or swim it?  I concluded to swim, sitting on my horse.  I had a wallet of biscuit tied to my saddle which I took off, put it across my shoulder and rode in, and was soon safely landed on the other side.  I urged him to follow.  He refused, saying he would go up the creek to see if he could find a log on which to cross, where he could drive his horse over.  I started on but had not gone far before I met four or five soldiers who said they had served out their time and were on their way home.

 

I traveled slowly but my companion did not overtake me.  I stopped and waited for him.  Still, he did not come.  I at length concluded he had returned with the soldiers.  My opinions proved to be too true.  It was the last I ever saw of him.  But this was not the worst.  His leaving was no small matter, as he carried all the meat with him, leaving me nothing but bread to subsist upon. 

 

In this forlorn condition I continued to press on, as fast as circumstances would permit, suffering from hunger, wet, and cold, and laying every night on the cold, wet ground or in some canebrake, or reedy swamp, where I could gather feed for my horse.  Sometimes I had the good luck to kill a wild turkey.  Then I would dress and roast it and have fine living for a few days.  

 

I still proceeded onward, suffering much.  I arrived at a large stream one evening; it had been raining all day; and was wet and cold.  I saw an Indian hut on the opposite bank, which was unoccupied.  The River was very high, out of its banks, and from thirty to forty yards wide.  There was no mode to cross but by swimming it on horse.  He had taken me across so many streams that I felt little doubt.  I took off my overcoat and laid it on the saddle, and again mounted.  I had some distance to swim in back water, through which the horse carried me with great ease; but as soon as he reached the current, he began to fail and soon sank.  I was washed off, one foot hanging in the stirrup.  I finally got loose from the horse.  I was encumbered with a heavy rifle in one hand and had to swim with the other.  I exerted myself until I became exhausted and sank, as I thought to rise no more.  I shall never forget my thoughts while under water; that this was the last of me and that my friends would never know what had become of me.

 

During this time, I rested and made a desperate attempt to rise, and succeeded.  I came up just above a long birch limb which the high water had reached.  The current would bear the limb downstream a certain distance, then break loose and fly back.  I caught it on its return and hung to it until rested sufficiently to make the shore on the same side that I went in.  My horse swam across with my saddle bags hanging by the strap to one of the stirrups, and as he raised to the bank the strap broke, and the saddle bags seemed to lay on the edge of the water.  In the meantime, my overcoat had floated off.  I could see it down the stream, and was anxious to secure it, so I ran down to see if I could recover it.  Before I could reach the place, it disappeared, and I never got it.  I came back and sat down on the bank of the river with feelings of mingled pleasure and pain.  I felt happy and thankful that I had escaped such a premature and untimely death.  I felt that my sufferings were almost insupportable. 

 

During these reflections, I heard a bustle and noise behind me.  I looked around and saw a dozen or more Indian’s squaws coming toward me.  They came nearer and seemed to pity my condition.  I was trembling with cold and shaking as if I had the ague.  One of them said something to a little Negro boy that was with them.  He ran off and soon returned with a wooden dish filled with boiled potatoes.  I was hungry and cold, and did ample justice to their hospitality. 

 

Whilst we were on that bank there came up another squad of discharged soldiers.  I called across and asked them if they would do me a favor -- and take my saddle bags, which seemed almost in the water, and save them for me until I could cross in the morning, also tie up my horse and give him some cane to eat.  They said it should be done.  I then went with the squaws and stayed all night in their wigwam.  In the morning, the Indians procured a canoe and sent me across, but before I reached the place the soldiers were gone.  All the money I had in the saddlebags in a pocket of my pantaloons, with a string tied around it.  On my arrival at the cabin, I found my horse well cared for, all my wet clothing taken out and dried and, to my great satisfaction, found all my money. 

 

I was soon on my way again.  In three or four days I came to a very comfortable Indian house.  It being nearly dark, I concluded I would try to get lodgings for the night.  There was a young Indian man standing in the yard.  I spoke to him.  He replied in English: "How do you do".  I asked him if I could stay all night with him.  He answered: "yes, sir, alight".  My horse was taken and put in a stable and fed, and supper prepared for me.  After supper we sat around a good comfortable fire.  In our conversation I found him to be a well-educated man and conversant on all subjects, and, to gather information of the roads I had to travel, he inquired where I was going.  I told him I belonged to Gen. Jackson's Army; had been crippled and left behind and was then trying to join them at Pensacola.  He said the army had left Pensacola and moved on to the Mississippi that he had then in the house a newspaper which reported their departure from Pensacola, which he showed me.  I inquired of him my best route to reach them.  He said travel west until I struck the Natchez trail and that would lead nearer to where the army was.  I asked if there were any roads that would intersect that road.  He said, No, that I would have to steer my course due west and that I would strike it in about one hundred miles; that there would be no obstacles in my way, no streams to cross, of any note.  I told him that if the day was cloudy, I could not tell whether I was going north, south, east, or west.  He said I could know the course by observing the timber; to bear in mind that the moss grew up higher and thicker on the north side of the trees, and to keep across that and it would lead me west. 

 

Being fully satisfied with his theory, I again set out and reached the Natchez trail in three days, without much difficulty -- with the exception of hunger, as I had had scarcely anything to eat on the trip.

 

The Indian above alluded to was John Peachlyner [Pitchlynn}, one of the chiefs of the Choctaw Nation.  He was educated in Nashville and knew many persons with whose names I was familiar. 

 

      [John Pitchlynn was born in the southern British colonies, son of Isaac, a Scots immigrant, and his wife, who died young. After his father also died, Pitchlynn was raised by the Choctaw people, with whom his father had worked as a trader. He was fluent in Choctaw and English.

Under George Washington, he was appointed as an interpreter and head of the Choctaw Agency. He continued to serve under President Andrew Jackson.

Pitchlynn married twice. About 1780 he married Rhoda Folsom, an Anglo-American. Due to his work, they lived within the Choctaw Nation.[1] He later married Sophia Folsom, a mixed-race Choctaw of partly Anglo-American descent. Her father was Ebenezer Folsom, and her mother Natika was Choctaw. Sophia's Choctaw name was Lk-lo-ha-wah (loved but lost). The couple married in 1804. The Choctaw had a matrilineal kinship system, so their children were considered born to Natika's clan and were raised in Choctaw culture.[2]

Pitchlynn had ten children. The most notable of these was their son Peter Pitchlynn, who in 1864 became principal chief of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma. This was decades after their removal from the Southeast under the 1831 Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek. The senior Pitchlynn had ensured that his son Peter was educated in Anglo-American classical tradition, as well as in Choctaw culture.

References

1.    ^ "RootsWeb: CHOCTAW-L [CHOCTAW] Pitchlynn Genealogy". archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com. Retrieved 2017-12-12.

^ Foley, James; Foley, Marcia. "Peter Pitchlynn". Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2008-02-05.    --Wikipedia    ]           

No comments:

Post a Comment